Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Palmer Trip

On our recent class trip to the Palmer Museum of Art, I was drawn to a piece titled "The Denial of Saint Peter." It is an oil on canvas piece, painted most likely in the 1630s. The piece is attributed to Master Jacomo, who is believed to have been either a Frenchman or Italian, living in the early to mid-17th century.

Four people can be seen in this piece, only from about the waist up. On the left there is a guard in armor holding a candle into the middle of the scene, and the face of a person behind him. On the right there is a woman in a red dress and brown shawl and a bearded man holding a long object who we can assume is Saint Peter. The rest of the painting is engulfed in shadows. The flame from the candle the guard is holding is what is illuminating the faces of all four figures. The guard is leaning toward Saint Peter who is holding up is hand in what appears to be protest.

This piece was painted circa the 1630s, placing it in the Baroque Period. This period lasted from the early 1600s, until 1750 in some parts of Europe. Baroque art is described as more "dynamic" than earlier art. It is known to be bolder and more theatrical. Additionally, during this time, the Catholic Church (as well as Protestants and the secular government) had a great influence on art. "The Denial of Saint Peter" fits in well with all of these aspects of the time period. It is bold and dramatic, and most likely of Catholic influence. 

For me the piece extracts emotion by displaying a well-known story from the Bible, in which Peter denies that he knows Jesus three times, as Jesus said he would. Peter is wrought with despair after doing so. As a Catholic, I have heard this story many times, and I relate to Peter because of his humanity. The boldness in this piece reminds me instantly of the story and of my own humanity. It is probably why I was drawn to the piece.

Little is known about Master Jacomo, the artist to whom the piece is attributed. He lived in the early to mid-17th century and was known as the Candlelight Master. "The Denial of Saint Peter" makes it very evident as to why he was called this. However, he does create credibility in this piece by painting a scene from the Bible. Religion was very important to those who lived in Master Jacomo's time, and was a central part of their lives. Jacomo chose a very famous scene from the Bible. The people in the portrait are very realistic and his use of light dramatizes the scene, therefore adding emphasis to the story. By tastefully appealing to an important part of people's lives, Jacomo adds much credibility to his piece.

Saint Peter's denial of Christ is a very well-known story. It shows us that even though Peter was one of Jesus' most devout followers, he was still a sinner. Catholicism is a very strict and traditional faith, so patrons are often reminded of their own sinfulness. Jacomo's piece could be making the claim that we are all sinners. However, as I said, the story always reminds me of my own humanity. As hard as I try to do all the right things, I am human and I will mess up. Perhaps this is the claim of Jacomo's piece. Due to the time period, the first claim seems most persuasive to me.

I enjoyed my experience at the Palmer Museum of Art. Although I have been to other art museums, it was my first time at the Palmer. I was impressed with the diversity of its pieces, being such a small museum.
I wouldn't mind going back, because I feel that I did not get to see everything there. I liked the bottom floor the best, as I am fonder of older art. Yet I was surprised to find that I really did like most of the contemporary pieces there as well. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was interesting that you chose this piece and decided to incorporate religion into your post. As a Methodist, I find that to be a really good thing! I enjoy your contemporary view of the picture, that we are all sinners no matter how hard we may try to be "perfect"-it's human nature. For that time period, I feel as though this piece would be both controversial and captivating; in present time, however, it unfortunately would not make as big of an impact to most. Great and interesting choice!

    ReplyDelete